Japan has the world's most convenient and efficient railway network.
Japan Railways(JR) Group are proud of their international reputation for frequent service, punctuality, high speed and safety. Travel by train is also the ideal way to view Japan: You ride comfortable and carefree, as vistas of a nation glide before your window - mountains, forests, lakes, highlands, and the sea.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is a special fare ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sightseeing. To be eligible to purchase a Japan Rail Pass, you must meet the following condition.
1.You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sightseeing, under the entry status of "TEMPORARY VISITOR".
"TEMPORARY VISITOR" entry status, according to Japan Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sightseeing, etc.". If you apply for a "stay for sightseeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below. *In order to receive or use JAPAN RAIL PASS, your passport must bear this stamp or sticker.
*If you use an automated gate, no stamp will be applied to your passport. Either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply the stamp to your passport.
Caution: Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order, to be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless you have "Temporary Visitor" status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as "Trainee," "Entertainer," or "Reentry Permit," you cannot change the Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, "Temporary Visitor" status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
2.You have both Japanese passport and written proof - obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where you live - that you have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more
*You must present both your passport and proof of eligibility to purchase an Exchange Order in a country other than Japan and to exchange your Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS in Japan.
*You cannot use a photo copy of your passport to purchase an Exchange Order or to exchange your Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
*You can purchase an Exchange Order and exchange it for a JAPAN RAIL PASS only if your stay in the country for 10 consecutive years or more is verified by such written proof.
For further information for Japanese passport holder, please access to ENGLISH or JAPANESE
The valid period of a Japan Rail Pass is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days beginning on the date the Pass is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must exchange your Exchange Order to obtain your Japan Rail Pass in Japan. At that time, it is necessary to specify the date that you want to start using the Pass. It can be any date within one month from the date the Pass is received.
Once the Pass has a starting date written on it, the date cannot be changed.
JR PASS REFUND POLICY
An Exchange Order that has not been exchanged for a Japan Rail Pass can be returned to our office for a refund, within one year of the date of issue. In such case 10% of the NZ$ price of the Exchange Order will be subtracted from the refund as a handling fee and communication fee.
After an Exchange Order is exchanged for a Japan Rail Pass, the Pass can be presented to any Japan Rail Pass exchange office in Japan for a refund if this is done before the starting date of the Pass. (Ten percent of the Japanese yen price of the Pass will be charged as a handling fee.)
Also no refund or extension of the validity period can be made in the event of a train non-operation, delay, or the like.
JR PASS REISSUE POLICY
Please note that if you type incorrect or insufficient information and reissuing of the voucher is required (including misspelling of names, not advising middle name or departure date is more than 3 months later), 10% of the NZ$ price of the Exchange Order + any fare difference will be charged. *In case the fare as of the date of reissue is cheaper than the fare of the original order date, the fare difference will not be refundable.
CONDITIONS OF USE1) The JAPAN RAIL PASS is valid only for the person whose name appears on the pass. The user must be a foreign national visiting Japan with the entry status of Temporary Visitor. Please note also that the pass is valid only when it has a JAPAN RAIL PASS ticket attached.
2) When you begin using your pass, present it to the attendant at a manned ticket gate. The attendant will apply a stamp in the space provided for official use. When passing through the gate, always present your pass to the attendant so that the period of validity is visible.
3) While using JAPAN RAIL PASS, you must carry your passport and be prepared to present it to a station attendant or car conductor if requested.
4) The JAPAN RAIL PASS is valid for reserved and non-reserved ordinary car travel on all Japan Railways (JR) Group Shinkansen “bullet trains” (except for the “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” services), limited express trains, express trains, and local trains (Green Car passes are valid for Green Car travel) and the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit system). The pass is also valid for travel on the JR Miyajima Ferry between Miyajima and Miyajimaguchi Station, buses operated by JR Hokkaido Bus, JR Tohoku Bus, JR Bus Kanto, JR Tokai Bus, West Japan JR Bus, Chugoku JR Bus, JR Shikoku Bus, JR Kyushu Bus, and the Tokyo Monorail. However, please note that JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for travel on JR Group buses that travel on expressways and some local bus routes.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for travel on the “Nozomi” and “Mizuho” Shinkansen services (including non-reserved seats on both).
To board those services, you must pay in full for the basic fare and the limited express charge.
The routes covered by JAPAN RAIL PASS are subject to change.
When using JAPAN RAIL PASS to travel on JR Group transport services that extend through lines operated by companies other than JR Rail, JR Miyajima Ferry, JR Bus (excluding some routes such as expressway bus lines), and the Tokyo Monorail, you must pay separately for the fare and other charges of the distance traveled on such sections. However, no separate fare or charges are required when such travel passes through the following segments without stopover.
(1) The Aoimori Railway between Hachinohe and Aomori, Aomori and Noheji, or Hachinohe and Noheji. (Valid only for use on ordinary trains)
(2) The IR Ishikawa Railway between Kanazawa and Tsubata. (Excluding travel on a train other than JR lines extending beyond the segment specified above)
(3) The Ainokaze Toyama Railway between Toyama and Takaoka. (Valid only for use on ordinary trains) (Excluding travel on a train other than JR lines extending beyond the segment specified above)
6) If you use non-reserved seating, or if you travel in an ordinary car using a Green Car pass, no refund shall be paid for passenger fare or other charges.
7) The JAPAN RAIL PASS can be used only within its validity period.
8) The JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be exchanged for other types of passes or tickets. Nor can the validity period of the pass be changed.
9) Please note that JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be reissued in the event that it is lost or stolen.
10) Once you have started using JAPAN RAIL PASS, the validity period cannot be extended, nor will any refund be issued, even if trains and other qualifying transportation services are suspended or delayed for any reason. Moreover, the JR Group will not bear additional costs due to changes in your route, such as alternative transportation costs or accommodation charges.
11) In addition to the terms and conditions set forth above, when using JAPAN RAIL PASS you must obey the JR Group’s regulations, terms and conditions, and the laws of Japan.
12) The use of JAPAN RAIL PASS in violation of the terms and conditions above or the JR Group’s regulations, terms and conditions may result in the invalidation and confiscation of the pass, as well as assessment of a penalty amounting to twice the basic fares and charges for all transportation services for which the pass was used.
13) The official terms and conditions of JAPAN RAIL PASS are written in Japanese, and the text of the Japanese version shall be given priority of interpretation in the event of questions regarding transportation conditions that may arise regarding conditions written in other languages.
(*The details above are subject to change.)